Over 40km RFD 900X Remote900X 915MHz Ultra Long Range Telemetry Radio Modem with Diversity FTDI & Antenna for APM PIX Flight Controller
This Ultra Long Range 915MHz Telemetry modem features:
- 1 Watt output power
- Diversity antennas,
- Full compatibility with normal “Hope RF” based radio modems as used by all 3DRobotics and compatible Pixhawks, APM’s, etc.
- Ultra Long Range, 40Km or more with directional antennas and a properly configured system!
Looking for an easy way to increase the range of your aircrafts 3DR style V1/V2 telelmetry radio? Use this as the ground station radio with a couple of large antennas and you’ll increase by, several times, the effective range.
Upgrade the radio on your aircraft to a RFD900+ or RFD900u and increase the range several times more.
This bundle includes:
– 2) RFD900X modems
– 4) 3dBi antenna for air and ground stations
– 1) FTDI cable for upgrading and programming
– 1) Pixhawk to RFD900+ cable
– 1) APM to RFD900+ cable
“Stock” Hope RF systems are only good for about 1Km, so this is the upgrade you need!
Fully compatible with the 3DR Mission Planner too (same as the Hope RF radios)!
- Same form factor and main pins as compared to the original RFD900.
- New LNA with higher gain and high IP3 for high interference environments. Approx 1-2dB higher sensitivity compared to original RFD900.
- Updated CPU with double the RAM and Flash compared to RFD900.
- AES Hardware accelerated encryption support *software still in development for this *
- Fully ESD protected + filtered – Every IO port is protected and filtered. Has passed preliminary CISPR 22 radiated emissions testing at an accredited test lab.
- Thicker PCB for extra mechanical strength.
- On board voltage regulation for all circuits compliant with FCC modular approval.
- Long range >40km depending on antennas and GCS setup *80km demonstrated by Edge Research labs on a balloon !, 57km in India, on Dipoles.
- 2 x RP-SMA RF connectors, diversity switched.
- 1 Watt (+30dBm) transmit power.
- Transmit low pass filter.
- > 20dB Low noise amplifier, high IP3 (Updated on RFD900+)
- RX SAW filter.
- All I/O ESD protected and filtered (New on RFD900+)
- Open source firmware SiK (V1.x) / tools, field upgradeable, easy to configure.
- Multipoint software capability with MP SiK (V2.x)
- Small, light weight.
- Compatible with 3DR / Hope-RF radio modules.
- License free use in Australia, Canada, USA, NZ
- RF : 2 x RP-SMA connectors
- Serial: Logic level TTL (+3.3v nominal, +5v tolerant)
- Power: +5v, ~800mA max peak (at maximum transmit power)
- GPIO: 6 General purpose IO (Digital, ADC, PWM capable).
- Frequency Range: 902 – 928 MHz (USA) / 915 – 928 MHz (Australia)
- Output Power: 1W (+30dBm), controllable in 1dB steps ( +/- 1dB @=20dBm typical )
- Air Data transfer rates: 4, 8, 16, 19, 24, 32, 48, 64, 96, 128, 192 and 250 kbit/sec ( User selectable, 64k default )
- UART data transfer rates: 2400, 4800, 9600, 19200, 38400, 57600, 115200 baud ( User selectable, 57600 default )
- Output Power: 1W (+30dBm)
- Receive Sensitivity: >121 dBm at low data rates, high data rates (TBA)
- Size: 30 mm (wide) x 57 mm (long) x 12.8 mm (thick) – Including RF Shield, Heatsink and connector extremeties
- Weight: 14.5g
- Mounting: 3 x M2.5 screws, 3 x header pin solder points
- Power Supply: +5 V nominal, (+3.5 V min, +5.5 V max), ~800 mA peak at maximum power
- Temp. Range: -40 to +85 deg C, tested operational from -73 to +123 deg C.
Software / GCS Support:
The software solution is an open source development called “SiK” originally by Mike Smith and improved upon by Andrew Tridgell and RFDesign. A boot loader and interface is available for further development and field upgrade of the modem firmware via the serial port.
Most parameters are configurable via AT commands, Eg. baud rate (air/uart), frequency band, power levels, etc., please see the 3DR wiki for commands below for now.
V2.x firmware has been updated to support multipoint networking on the RFD900.
V1.x (non multipoint) is suitable for point to point links – the sourcecode is located at:
The user manual / datasheet can be found here :
A software manual for SiK firmware is here :
RFD900 configuration tool:
RFD900 binary firmware repository:
3DR/RFD900 compatible configuration tool :
Wiki for the 3DR radios (RFD900 has same commands):
Integrated support for configuring the RFD900 radios is supported by APM Planner, with other GCS solutions in development.
The default settings are at 57600 baud, N, 8, 1, and 64k air data rate.
Software features include:
- Frequency hopping spread spectrum (FHSS)
- Transparent serial link
- Point to Point, or Multipoint networking
- Configuration by simple AT commands for local radio, RT commands for remote radio
- User configurable serial data rates and air datarates
- Error correction routines, Mavlink protocol framing (user selectable)
- Mavlink radio status reporting (Local RSSI, Remote RSSI, Local Noise, Remote Noise)
- Automatic antenna diversity switching on a packet basis in realtime
- Automatic duty cycle throttling based on radio temperature to avoid overheating
The RFD900 is designed to be compliant with the following standards:
- FCC Part 15.247 (Frequency hopping and digitally modulated intentional radiators)
- AS/NZS 4268:2012 (Radio equipment and systems – short range devices)
The modem is designed for system integrators who will integrate the modem into their own projects and product prototypes. The user is responsible for compliance with local regulations for radio transmitters.
-2* RFD900X Radio Modem
– 4* Antenna
– 1* FTDI Module and cable
– 1* APM connection cable
– 1* PIX connection cable
|RC Parts & Accs|
Vehicles & Remote Control Toys
|Remote Control Peripherals/Devices|
|For Vehicle Type|
|Four-wheel Drive Attributes|